I have been experimenting with intervals between 15 and 20 seconds.
The TFL netcam is set to upload a new inage to www.thefieldlab.org every 10 seconds. Sometimes when the TFL connection is busy the netcam can't upload every 10 seconds and the time between updates gets extended.
Regardless of what the netcam uploads to the webpage. My computer in the UK grabs an image off the website every 18 seconds currently, which seems to be a good compromise at the moment. That amounts to about 2200 images a day. The program I use to compile into a movie is Photolapse... http://home.hccnet.nl/s.vd.palen/index.html I set it to 24 frames per second to create an uncompressed avi. Then use Windows Movie Maker to add a music mp3 and save as a wmv file.
I just got a remote timer for my Nikon D90 and started working with some time lapse strings..I down loaded photolaspe yesterday...with my images at 4288 x 2848...the "crunch" is taking some time..I'll tweek the camera setting to bring that down some...which codec are you using?
I save the photolapse avi as an Uncompressed avi. The reason for this? I use Windows Movie Maker (free with WinXP) to add the sound track and save as a "High quality video (large)" wmv file.
Since I am processing it twice, I chose Uncompressed for the first pass to avoid loss in picture quality at this stage. Just beware, this uncompressed avi seems to have a built in size limit of just over 2GB. If it is bigger it just wont play. So I have balanced my file numbers to dial in just the right number of frames to come under this limit. You are using larger jpegs so you will reach this limit with fewer frames.
Instead of using full rez images from the camera you might want to consider resizing the images before using Photolapse. I use a free image editor called "IrfanView", it has a batch resize/rename feature where you can easily resize a whole folder of images, then process the smaller images with Photolapse.
In terms of using the other codecs with Photolapse, it varies with what codecs you have installed on your PC. All I can suggest is experimenting with all of them so see which one looks best once it is uploaded to youtube.
I am still trying to figure it all out as I go. Because all the software is free there is undoubtedly some issues and limitations that may be avoided with some commercial software. I just like to avoid paying for software if I can use freeware to to the job, why pay when you don't have to.
what interval are you using or you timelapse work at the field lab
ReplyDeletethanks
Kevin
I have been experimenting with intervals between 15 and 20 seconds.
ReplyDeleteThe TFL netcam is set to upload a new inage to www.thefieldlab.org every 10 seconds. Sometimes when the TFL connection is busy the netcam can't upload every 10 seconds and the time between updates gets extended.
Regardless of what the netcam uploads to the webpage. My computer in the UK grabs an image off the website every 18 seconds currently, which seems to be a good compromise at the moment. That amounts to about 2200 images a day. The program I use to compile into a movie is Photolapse...
http://home.hccnet.nl/s.vd.palen/index.html
I set it to 24 frames per second to create an uncompressed avi. Then use Windows Movie Maker to add a music mp3 and save as a wmv file.
I just got a remote timer for my Nikon D90 and started working with some time lapse strings..I down loaded photolaspe yesterday...with my images at 4288 x 2848...the "crunch" is taking some time..I'll tweek the camera setting to bring that down some...which codec are you using?
ReplyDeleteKevin
K,
ReplyDeleteI save the photolapse avi as an Uncompressed avi. The reason for this? I use Windows Movie Maker (free with WinXP) to add the sound track and save as a "High quality video (large)" wmv file.
Since I am processing it twice, I chose Uncompressed for the first pass to avoid loss in picture quality at this stage. Just beware, this uncompressed avi seems to have a built in size limit of just over 2GB. If it is bigger it just wont play. So I have balanced my file numbers to dial in just the right number of frames to come under this limit. You are using larger jpegs so you will reach this limit with fewer frames.
Instead of using full rez images from the camera you might want to consider resizing the images before using Photolapse. I use a free image editor called "IrfanView", it has a batch resize/rename feature where you can easily resize a whole folder of images, then process the smaller images with Photolapse.
In terms of using the other codecs with Photolapse, it varies with what codecs you have installed on your PC. All I can suggest is experimenting with all of them so see which one looks best once it is uploaded to youtube.
I am still trying to figure it all out as I go. Because all the software is free there is undoubtedly some issues and limitations that may be avoided with some commercial software. I just like to avoid paying for software if I can use freeware to to the job, why pay when you don't have to.
I hope this helps,
N